- Optocouplers also called photocouplers & opto isolators, they are IC type looking components available from 4 pins to many numbers of pins, they are mostly used for isolating of two circuits from each other. PC817 is a commonly used Optocoupler, it contains one IR LED and one photo transistor in its package. Its working is simple, when you apply voltage to the IR LED which is connected on pin 1 and 2 the LED become activated and the light is received by the internal phototransistor hence making it in saturation state due to which it connects the pin 3 and 4 with each other. PC817 is a widely used optcoupler and works well in electronic circuit for a single isolation task. If you require more isolation tasks at the same time then you can also use other optocouplers that contains couple of IR LEDS and phototransistors in a single package.
- Isolation between any type of two circuits
- Output of Microcontrollers to control devices
- Sensor Circuits
- Power suppliers and chargers
- Office and home appliances
- Digital circuits